Keeping Teen Skin Beautiful
Teaching skin care at an early age to both girls and boys can save lots of stress for them and save lots of money for you. Selecting the right product for your teen is crucial. Products that are too harsh can overly irritate skin and do just as much damage as the acne. Products that are too heavy can plug pores and cause blockages that lead to more breakout.Diet plays an important part in skin care too. You really are what you eat and rising teen obesity is a big reminder of “Junk in-Junk out.” Constantly eating double fries, soda and brownies will probably show up the face as well as on hips and waistline. Did you know that the skin is an organ of elimination and it’s sometimes called the third kidney. It breathes oxygen and excretes sweat, oils and wastes from the body. During adolescence with increased hormone activity, there’s an overload of wastes, especially if a teen’s diet includes lots of sweets, pastries, fast foods, fried food, sodas , etc.
Teens are living breathing ‘transformers’ and as their body goes through physical changes their emotions are going through ups and downs. To help their transformation be fun instead of traumatic, I suggest preparing a small arsenal of products to help them navigate through these transitional years.
Teen Skin Care Must Haves:
- A gentle, water based, non-oily cleanser (use when skin is dry, irritated or normally clear)- like dermHA’s Gentle Face and Body Wash.
- An exfoliating cleanser with alpha hydroxyl acids (for oily thick skin or with frequent breakouts) like dermHA’s Rejuvenating Cleanser.
- An acne cleanser with alpha hydroxyl acids and salicylic acid /or benzyl peroxide (for consistant acne breakouts with pustules and blackheads) like dermHA’s Acne Skin Cleanser.
- A non-alcoholic tonic with witch hazel an zinc (to use when needed with the gentle cleanser) like dermHA’s Rejuvenating Tonic.
- A water based moisturizer, like dermHA’s Therapeutic Crème or Therapy Plus, to use daily after cleansing.
- An enzyme and/or creme mask, like dermHA’s Enzyme Mask or dermHA’s Crème Mask with tamanu, to help refuine pores and calm acne irritations.
- A small bottle of pure tea tree oil from (after cleansing face, apply with a Q-tip directly onto blemishes, blackheads and pustules). Tea tree oils, like dermHA Tea Tree Oil, kills bacteria. (You can also purchase pure tea tree oil that’s pesticide free at a reputable health food store.)
Acne can also be a result of abnormal hormone production and you may need to see a dermatologist if cysts or pustules increase and become painful. In our next blog entry, we’ll talk about habits that can increase acne flare-ups. For more information or to find out the best dermHA products for you or your teen, call one of our licensed aestheticians at 1-877-933-7642. We can talk to you about how to better care for your skin on a daily basis.